The more people I meet the more I notice the different responses from all the different people. I have come up with two different categories. Every response can be tied to one of the two. You are either a pioneer or a settler in life. The settlers seem to be okay with just settling into the territory that someone in the past has spend blood, sweat, and tears to conquer, fortify, and domesticate. They want security and comfort rather then freedom. But then I run into some people that see the need to continue conquering new territory for future generations, they are today’s pioneers they understand the risks, and the struggles, but they would rather fight the wind and rain then sleep in the king sized bed of complacency.
“The moment we decide to begin the journey to cross a great plain of uncertainty is the moment we all become pioneers”
In the Team we understand the need for leadership right now, but it is clear enough that most Americans don’t yet. I believe that eventually most people will be involved with what we are doing. Right now it’s mostly the pioneers that get involved, but eventually the settlers will follow. What we are doing has never been done before. Where else can you find an organization that is more effective then the Team? Some of the top leaders in the country, and best selling authors have been developed here. There are tens of thousands of families in their homes right now reading, studying and listening to leadership material. They are the pioneers that are bringing more pioneers in. They are conquering new territory. Remember if we don’t build leaders and pioneers now, the settlers will not survive the future. It always takes courageous men and women to shape the future. This great Country was made up of pioneers. Pioneers are dreamers, they have a vision for a better tomorrow. We must develop them now. Although the majority will always be settlers, they do live lives of quiet desperation, although they are hungry for a cause, they can never muster up the courage to become a pioneer. If you have made it this far into this article it must be for a reason. I bet that you that you will become a 21st Century pioneer.
Here are five traits that are needed to be a pioneer. (By Tod Nielsen)
- A Robust Vision In The Outcome – I think you have to believe so strongly that the outcome will be worth more than any sacrifice it takes to get there. Without that dream of a better outcome, I think it is difficult, if not impossible, to begin the journey, and endure the difficulties of the journey.
- The Inability To Turn Back From Where You Began -Early pioneers often left with the knowledge that they couldn’t turn back. In our own lives, it might be a moral, ethical, physical, or spiritual reason as to why we cannot turn back, but a pioneer begins their journey to a better future and metaphorically doesn’t look back. So must be our mindset, as we begin our own journeys.
- Knowledge That You Might Not Make It To The End, But You Are Willing To Do It Anyway. – In our own journeys, there will likely not be a physical concern of death, but when I think about the tough times where I embarked on something; perhaps it was overcoming a weakness, overcoming a difficult relationship, moving onto a new job, work struggles, going through the adoption process, beginning a new business venture, I can remember thinking to myself, “I don’t know if I can do this.” And there were a few tough times that I can recall thinking and praying, “I don’t know if I can survive this.” It wasn’t doubt in my ability, I actually felt that perhaps my heart would fail and my perseverance would die and I would end up in some vegetative state. I have later learned that it was times like that, when I was uncertain of the outcome, that great rewards were in store for me.
- Knowledge That Your Sacrifice Will Make The Life Of Someone Else Better – As I think about some of the pioneers I have mentioned throughout history, I think they all had this knowledge that their sacrifice would be beneficial to others. Our sacrifices and journeys may never be as physically daunting, but the emotional and mental challenges can be similarly daunting for us. Remembering that the sacrifices we make will make the lives others better, can give us hope and endurance to continue on.
- Faith That You Actually Can Succeed – The last but most important aspect is faith. Faith that you can succeed, faith that you have the abilities, faith that your vision will endure. If you have a negative attitude of your outcome, than the journey will we all the more difficult.